Baked Cod Fish with Tomatoes and Mushrooms is an easy and flavorful meal to make in under 30 minutes. The fish and vegetables are seasoned with garlic, lemon, basil and parsley. Perfect for a healthy weeknight meal.
Cod is a great fish to cook since it’s low in fat, a good source of omega-3, vitamins and protein. I enjoy its mild flavor and how light, tender and flaky it is after cooking. The biggest plus is that this is one of the easiest fish to prepare.
What’s The Best Type Of Cod To Buy?
The two best types of cod are Pacific and Atlantic. Pacific cod (also known as true cod or gray cod) can be found near Alaska, in the Pacific Ocean. It is also in Japan and Canada. Atlantic Cod, which is a larger fish, can be found in the coldest water areas of the North Atlantic.
If you want to dive deeper (no pun intended) into the specifics of the best choice of cod, I highly recommend going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch website. There you’ll find their recommendations on what’s the best fish to buy in order to have less of an impact on the environment. They also have a great phone app that you can use at the market when you’re trying to choose what fish to buy.
What’s the difference in taste between Pacific and Atlantic Cod?
Atlantic cod may have a slightly sweeter flavor than Pacific cod. For this recipe, I used Pacific cod.
What Should You Look For When Buying Cod Fillets?
With white fish, you want the flesh to look translucent. The fish should look wet and shiny. If the fish looks opaque, dry or smells funny, it’s not fresh. Don’t buy it!
How Long is Cod Good For After Purchasing?
Refrigerated cod is good for 1 to 2 days if properly stored. If you want to freeze the cod, place it in the freezer immediately after purchasing. Be sure to wrap in an air-tight freezer storage bag or paper. Remember to write the purchase date on the outside of the bag or paper.
How Long is Frozen Cod Good For?
Frozen cod is best used within 6 to 8 months for the best quality. After thawing and defrosting cod in the refrigerator, you have about 1 to 2 days to use it. Keep it refrigerated until use.
How Long Does Cod Last After It’s Cooked?
Cod will stay good for about 3 days after its cooked.
How To Cook Baked Cod with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Cod fillets
- Olive Oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Kosher Salt
- Italian Parsley
Items Used To Make This Recipe
- Large skillet
- Shallow baking dish – 9 x 13 inches
- Baking sheet
- Chef's knife
- Fish spatula
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
Tips To Make Cooking This Recipe Easier
Prep the cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half lengthwise. I used a cherry tomato medley with different colored tomatoes. You can use just one color (red, yellow, etc.). I like making my dishes as colorful as possible, which is why I chose the medley.
I sautéed the mushrooms in a nonstick skillet and cooked them just enough to soften the texture. They will continue to cook in the oven when they are added to the fish.
Basil adds a fresh, peppery, slightly sweet flavor to this dish. The leaves are delicate, so you want to be gentle with them when you cut (chiffonade) them.
- Stack the leaves on top of each other.
- Roll the stack into a cigar shape.
- Thinly slice the stack with a sharp knife.
- Now you have beautiful slices of basil to sprinkle over your fish.
The Finished Dish – Baked Cod with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
Let me know if you made this recipe or if you made any substitutions to put your spin on it. Snap a pic and post it to Instagram. Tag @lisamarietodd and hashtag #anappetizinglife. Enjoy!
Baked Cod with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 pint mixed cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 cod fillets each about 1” thick with skin removed
- Italian parsley chopped
- Basil chopped
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper then cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Brush a shallow baking dish with oil. Arrange fish in a single layer then lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the tomatoes mixture over the fish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, uncovered until fish is opaque. Sprinkle fish with chopped basil and parsley. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
You can substitute halibut for the cod fish fillets.