This Chicken Vegetable Soup is perfect to serve on a cold day or if you're feeling a little under the weather. It's made with chicken, vegetables, herbs, and bone broth.
Winter storms and cold/flu season are perfect reasons to hunker down and make a big pot of homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup. It’s times like these when we all need something warm and soothing in our bellies. So why is this simple soup so good for bodies and spirit especially when we’re feeling under the weather?
Why is Chicken Vegetable Soup Good For You?
- It’s hydrating. Staying hydrated is essential to our bodies, period. So let's all drink plenty of water, sip hot teas and enjoy our bowls of chicken soup.
- Breathing in the steam from the soup may help loosen up congestion. I'll take that over slathering on a smelly vapor rub. Thanks for the memories grandma.
- It’s filled with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. This recipe uses chicken bone broth which is a bonus. Bone broth is said to help fight inflammation, boost immunity and improve hydration. There's that hydration thing again.
There’s something comforting about a warm bowl of soup. Maybe it takes us back to our childhood (simpler times) or the fact it's a dish that you have to slow down to eat and enjoy. Whatever it is, chicken soup seems to have the power to lift our mood and make us feel better.
Making Chicken Vegetable Soup – A Few Tips
- Make sure your vegetables a cut and diced in uniform pieces. It helps with the cooking process, keeps ingredients from overpowering each other with each bite. It also makes your soup look appealing to eat.
- The soup will last for three days if properly refrigerated. You can also freeze any leftover soup.
How to Freeze Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Make sure the soup is cool.
- Divide it into portions by separating it into individual servings. You can use silicone storage bags or plastic freezer bags.
- Label and date each bag, then place in the freezer.
- Soup will store frozen for 4 to 5 months.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 1 turnip peeled and diced
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts cut into 1” cubes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Remember to remove the bay leaf before serving.
Let me know if you made this recipe or if you made any substitutions to put your spin on it. Snap a pic and post it to Instagram. Tag @lisamarietodd and hashtag #anappetizinglife. Enjoy!