These bite-size Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups with Chicken and Goat Cheese are an easy appetizer to prepare and serve at any gathering.
You don’t have to wait until you’re having a gathering to make appetizers. They have become part recipes I make for weeknight dinners. I like to add a salad and a glass of white wine and for a simple, light meal. These zucchini roll-ups are great warm out of the oven or at room temperature. If you have any leftover, take a few to work the next day but be prepared to share with your friends.
FEATURED INGREDIENT – ZUCCHINI
I love cooking with this versatile vegetable. Zucchini pairs well with many herbs, spices and a wide variety of cheeses. It’s packed with nutrients, antioxidants and high in fiber. This vegetable is available year-round in most markets, so you can enjoy cooking with it in any season.
BUYING AND STORING ZUCCHINI
- Choose zucchini that is firm, free of blemishes with bright-colored skin.
- Scrub the vegetables with a soft brush to remove any dirt. You can use a soft bristle toothbrush or vegetable brush.
- Store zucchini in a cool, dry place in the refrigerator. I recommend your crisper drawer. Don’t wash the zucchini until you’re ready to use it.
- Zucchini will remain fresh in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 day. You should store it in a silicon food bag or plastic bag.
A RANDOM ZUCCHINI FACT
Did you know that zucchini is technically a fruit but is usually called a vegetable? By botanical definitions, it falls into the fruit category. Its savory flavor is may be why it referred to as a vegetable in the culinary world.
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED ZUCCHINI ROLL-UPS WITH CHICKEN AND GOAT CHEESE
- Grill Pan
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment paper
Prepare the quick marinade then brush it over the chicken and zucchini. Grill the chicken and zucchini separately.
Mix the softened goat cheese and herbs and spread over the zucchini. Place the grilled chicken on top of the cheese then roll it all together. I used small wooden toothpicks to keep the roll-ups from opening up.
If you want a pretty presentation, serve the roll-ups on a simple platter. But honestly, I enjoy eating them straight off the sheet pan with friends.
Watch the video below to see how I made this recipe.
To see more videos, subscribe to my YouTube channel
Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups with Chicken and Goat Cheese
- 2 medium-sized zucchini sliced lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick
- 1 pound of chicken breast tenders
Marinade for Chicken and Zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Goat Cheese Spread
- 4 oz goat cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, thyme, garlic mix well. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the salt and pepper and adjust to taste if desired.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lay the sliced zucchini on a sheet pan and lightly brush both sides with the quick marinade.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the zucchini for 2 - 3 minutes on each side. You want light brown grill marks on the slices. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lay the chicken breast tender on the sheet pan. Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper then brush with remaining marinade.
- Place the chicken on the same grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for 4 - 5 minutes on each side. Cook time will depend on the thickness of the tenders. You can also slightly flatten the tenders to create an even thickness.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut into small bite-sized pieces.
- Line the sheet pan with fresh parchment paper and place the grilled zucchini slices on the pan. Spread a small amount of the softened goat cheese mixture on each slice. Then place a cube of chicken close to one end of each zucchini slice. Slowly roll the everything together then insert a toothpick into the roll-up. This will prevent it from opening up.
- Place roll-ups on a platter and serve.
Let me know if you made this recipe or if you made any substitutions to put your spin on it. Snap a pic and post it to Instagram. Tag @lisamarietodd and hashtag #anappetizinglife. Enjoy!