Simple Cherry Tomato and Basil Sauce takes only 20 minutes to make. Toss it over a graphic specialty pasta to create a next level dish.
I don’t eat pasta that often, but when I spied this Farfalline Zebra pasta in a Los Angeles specialty market I had to buy it. How could I resist pasta that looks like Beetlejuice’s black and white suit? Pasta that's perfectly matched for a Halloween dinner.
The Farfalline Zebra pasta is from Puglia, Italy. Its organic and made with dehydrated squid ink. A graphic pasta like this requires a simple, unfussy sauce. You want to see the stripes. This pasta sauce is one of my favorite recipes that you can make year round.
What's in the sauce?
- Cherry tomatoes
- Diced tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How To Make Pasta A Simple Cherry Tomato and Basil Sauce
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. The water should be salty like sea water. Stir pasta occasionally while cooking. Drain pasta and transfer to a large serving bowl. Start cooking the sauce while the pasta is boiling.
- In a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil, cook the garlic, cherry tomatoes, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Gently stir the ingredients. The cherry tomatoes will burst while cooking and create a sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss well. Top the pasta with basil and freshly grated Parmesan.
Simple Cherry Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 1 pound Pasta I used zebra pasta
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic clove minced
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- Fresh basil chiffonade
- Freshly grated Parmesan
In a large pot of salted boiling water add pasta and cook until al dente. Stir pasta occasionally while cooking. Drain pasta and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, cherry tomatoes, diced tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Gently stir the ingredients. As the cherry tomatoes warm up, they will begin to burst. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes occasionally stirring the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss well. Top the pasta with basil and freshly grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.
I used Farfalline Zebra Artisan pasta which can be found online and in specialty food markets.
Let me know if you made this recipe. Snap a pic and post it to Instagram. Tag @lisamarietodd and hashtag #anappetizinglife.