We’re half way through the summer season and heat waves in LA have been in full force. These hot and muggy days make me crave foods that are refreshing, light and juicy. All that heat signaled it was time to head into the kitchen and do one of my favorite things- play with food. I rummaged through my refrigerator found an English cucumber, watermelon, and feta cheese. Combine these and make a salad? Why not? The combination eased my cravings for a refreshing, juicy salad.
This is a quick, simple salad that takes no time to put together. I chose to use a sweet Hawaiian onion to blend with the sweetness of the watermelon. The thin, even slices are made with one of my favorite kitchen toys, a mandoline.
The lime juice and salt will draw out water in the cucumber and watermelon. I removed the cucumber seeds, then diced it to avoid having extra liquid. Doing this adds a nice crunch to each bite of cucumber. Bite size is important, so the diced watermelon is around the same size as the cucumber.
The great thing about this colorful salad? It takes very little time to put together. If you’re bringing the salad for a summer gathering, wait until you arrive to mix everything together. Keep the salad ingredients separate, then add the lime vinaigrette and feta cheese right before serving. I promise people will go back for seconds.
Watermelon, Cucumber, and Feta Salad
Yield 6 servings
- 4 cup watermelon cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup sweet onion thinly sliced
- 2 English cucumbers seeded and quartered
- 2 tablespoon mint chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, sweet onion and cucumbers. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine mint, cilantro, fresh lime juice, lime zest and mix.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture over melon, onion and cucumbers. Gently mix well.
- Add feta cheese to salad, gently mix and serve.
Click the video below to see how I prepared this salad on my Facebook Live broadcast of “An Appetizing Life”.