This Watermelon Mint Cooler cocktail is refreshing and easy to make. It’s the perfect drink to serve at a barbecue on a hot summer day.
If I made a list of my top 10 summertime recipe favorites, this cocktail would make my list. The mint simple syrup made with fresh mint leaves adds sweetness to the drink. A squeeze of fresh lime adds a little citrus flavor. You’ll need to prep the watermelon juice and mint simple syrup first, but both are quick to make. The fantastic thing about this cocktail is that you can easily turn it into a non-alcoholic mocktail. Omit the gin and add a splash of club soda or seltzer water.
What are the Benefits of Watermelon?
Watermelon is filled with antioxidants and lycopene. In fact, watermelon has more lycopene than raw tomatoes. Besides being very hydrating, it’s full of antioxidants and fiber.
What Equipment Do I Need to Make Watermelon Juice?
You’ll need a blender. The watermelon cubes are pureed in the blender for about 20 to 30 seconds. If you want the juice to be smoother, you can pour it through a fine sieve. I did this when I made the cocktail.
How to Make Watermelon Mint Cooler Cocktails
Watermelon Mint Cooler
- 4 cups watermelon rind removed and cut into cubes
- 1 bottle of Gin your favorite brand
- 2 limes cut in half
For Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
To Make Fresh Watermelon Juice
- Place the watermelon cubes into a blender and puree. If you want the juice to be a little smoother, strain it through a fine sieve to remove the pulp.
To Make Mint Simple Syrup
- In a medium saucepan bring mint, water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Pour syrup through a mesh strainer. Press mint with the back of a spoon to release all of the flavor. Let cool. Syrup can be refrigerated for 5 days.
Making the Cocktail
- Combine watermelon juice, gin, simple syrup and lime in glass. Stir, top with ice and add mint for garnish.