This is a simple and filling salad to take to work for lunch or enjoy for dinner.
This chopped salad is filled with tomatoes, crunchy romaine lettuce, cucumbers, pepperoncini, scallions, garbanzo beans and fresh herbs. What pulls it all together is the creamy oregano vinaigrette.
Cubed grilled chicken can be added in or substituted for the salami. Or, leave out the meat for a vegetarian version of the salad. The chickpeas are a good source of protein and fiber.
A FEW TIPS:
Buying Romaine Lettuce
- Buy whole heads of Romaine instead of bagged. It’s less expensive and will be fresher. The bagged lettuce may have been sitting on the shelf for a while.
- When cleaning your lettuce, remove any damaged leaves. Rinse well under cold water multiple times. Dry the lettuce well. You can use paper towels, a clean kitchen bowl or a salad spinner.
- To make the oregano vinaigrette smoother and creamier, make it in a blender.
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups romaine lettuce torn or cut into strips
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 - 4 pepperoncini chopped
- 1 cucumber seeded and cut into quarter pieces
- 1 15- oz can of unsalted garbanzo beans rinsed
- 3 oz dry salami cut into small cubes (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
To Make Vinaigrette
Toss salad then add salami if desired. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, garlic, oregano, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce, tomatoes, celery, scallion, parsley, basil, pepperoncini, cucumber and garbanzo beans.
Lightly dress the salad with the desired amount of oregano vinaigrette.
Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. You can also use a small mason jar and shake the ingredients together.