Looking for a summertime kebab recipe? Grill up these colorful Chicken, Sausage and Vegetable Kebabs. These kebabs have juicy chicken thighs, sweet Italian sausage and vegetables.
*This post contains affiliate links. Visit our Disclosure page for details.
Let’s get one important food question out of the way. Is it kabobs or kebabs or kababs? The answer? They're all correct and for this post, I’m going to go with kebabs. Kebabs are one of my favorite dishes to serve at a summer BBQ. There’s a simplistic satisfaction I get when cooking kebabs. Grilled tender cubes of marinated meat or seafood combined with fresh vegetables. All speared on a skewer, sizzling on my grill. My mouth is watering as I write about it. I may have to fire up my grill tonight for dinner.
Kebabs are also easy to individualize for guests with different food needs. Leave off the protein and grill the vegetables. Everyone eats! These kebabs have chicken thighs, sweet Italian sausage, assorted bell peppers, red onions and mushrooms. You can grill them outdoors or indoors on a grill pan. This is the go-to grill pan that I’ve been using for years.
WHAT TO GATHER
1 lb of cooked sweet Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Soak the wooden skewers in ice water for 30 minutes – 1 hour. I’m going to suggest 1 hour. I had an unfortunate incident with skewers that weren’t prepared properly. No one wants to watch fire and flame burning up their shrimp skewers while hungry guests look on from afar. Lesson learned, soak your skewers well! I love these double pronged metal skewers. They keep the ingredients in place while grilling. You can also use two wooden skewers for each kebab.
- Be careful not to add too much salt and pepper. Too much salt may dry out the chicken. I like my chicken thighs tender and juicy not dry and chewy. Don't you? This instant-read meat thermometer will help the chicken reach the correct temperature.
- Feel free to use other types of sausage, it doesn’t have to be sweet Italian turkey sausage. Sometimes I like to mix things up with hot Italian sausage or andouille sausage. I’ve even used Louisiana hot links.
So fire up the grill and serve these at your next summertime BBQ.
Chicken, Sausage and Vegetable Kebabs
These kebabs have juicy chicken thighs, sweet Italian sausage and vegetables.
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 small fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 small red onion cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb of cooked sweet Italian turkey sausage cut into 1-inch cubes
Combine garlic, basil, oregano and oil in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Season with salt and pepper, being careful not to add too much salt.
Set aside a small amount of the marinade to brush onto the kebabs while grilling. Add chicken cubes, seal bag and evenly distribute marinade to cover chicken cubes. Refrigerate chicken for at least 2 hours, no longer than 6 hours.
Using soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers thread chicken, vegetables and sausage. Alternate in whatever pattern desired.
Heat an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat. Grill kebabs 8 - 10 minutes each side. Brush with the remainder of marinade while grilling. The chicken thighs should reach an internal temperature of 165° F. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer or instant-read meat thermometer.