This Roasted Green Beans and Carrots recipe is a quick and easy to make. Perfect to serve as a weeknight or Holiday dinner side dish.
Just a few ingredients are used in this recipe to create a flavorful side dish. Shallots, thyme, Italian parsley and a little lemon juice brighten the flavors of the vegetables. After roasting, the green beans come out crisp and carrots tender.
CHOOSING YOUR GREEN BEANS AND CARROTS
- Look for green beans that are bright in color, blemish-free and crisp. They will stay fresh wrapped tightly in a reusable silicone food storage bag or plastic bag. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- I used small organic carrots for this dish. Look for carrots that are smooth, firm and bright orange. The leaves should be fresh, not wilted and bright green. Don’t buy carrots that have cracks in them. Remove the carrot leaves before storing. To store, place in a reusable silicone food storage bag or plastic bag. Carrots will stay fresh when refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.
A FEW PREP TIPS
- Carrots – To peel or not to peel? I chose to peel the carrots in this recipe. You don’t have to. It's a matter of taste and visual choice. I prefer the way roasted peeled carrots look, their flavor and their texture. If you’re team peel, you can save the carrot peels to use in a homemade vegetable stock. If you keep the peels on, make sure to wash and scrub the carrots well to reduce bitterness.
- Green beans – A quick way to trim green bean ends – Grab a handful of beans. Line them up, trim, turn the beans around and trim again. Repeat. That's it, you're done.
- Make sure to evenly coat the vegetables with the olive oil and herb mixture. You want every bit to taste flavorful.
- Toasted almonds add a little more crunch to the dish. Keep an eye on your almonds when toasting them on the stove top. Nuts can burn quickly and it’s best to keep them moving in the pan. Stir with a spatula or shake the skillet occasionally while cooking. When you begin to smell the toasty aroma of warm nuts, it's time to remove them from the stove.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW TO SEE HOW I MADE THIS RECIPE.
To see more videos, subscribe to my YouTube channel
Roasted Green Beans and Carrots
This recipe for Roasted Green Beans and Carrots is easy to make and doesn’t take a lot of time. Perfect to serve as a weeknight or Holiday dinner side dish.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans stem end trimmed
- 2 bunches carrots trimmed and peeled
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup almond slivers toasted
Toasting Almonds - Stove-top Method
Pre-heat a small dry skillet over medium heat.
Place almonds in the pan and spread out evenly in a single layer.
Stir almonds to avoid burning for 2 to 3 minutes or until you begin to smell a slightly toasted fragrance.
Remove skillet from heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss together the green beans, carrots, shallots, thyme and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Vegetables should be fully coated with oil.
Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
Top with toasted almonds and parsley and serve immediately.
Let me know if you made this recipe. Snap a pic and post it to Instagram. Tag @lisamarietodd and hashtag #anappetizinglife. Enjoy!